SBB's real estate strategy for housebuilding.
SBB already supports the construction of affordable housing and will continue to do so. Today SBB Real Estate’s portfolio includes around 1200 homes, of which some 1000 are classed as affordable housing. These are located primarily around medium-sized and smaller stations. In addition, SBB is currently supporting 38 housing cooperatives with a total
of around 1700 homes.
of around 1700 homes.
- In the long term, SBB is to build around 3000 to 4000 new homes and affordable housing should make up about a third of SBB’s portfolio.
- By managing and developing properties around the railways in Switzerland‘s main economic hubs, SBB Real Estate is creating added value for the entire railway system, cities and the public.
- Any profit generated by SBB Real Estate is ploughed back into the railway system.
- As agreed with political leaders, real estate profits are used to restructure/consolidate the SBB pension fund (2016: 270,9 Mio. CHF), to make annual payments totaling CHF 150 million to SBB Infrastructure and to consolidate SBB’s debts.
- With its real estate strategy, SBB is fulfilling the mandate from the federal government that requires real estate used for commercial purposes to be managed in a market-orientated way and the increased value of the property portfolio to be guaranteed for the long term.
The video below gives you a brief and understandable overview of this topic.
on SBB’s real estate strategy, housing policy and affordable housing.
Overview of planned affordable housing:
|Project location||Number of planned or possible affordable housing||Project status||Project information and websites|
|Geneva: O‘VIVES||88||SBB investment; construction project; 88 apartments planned with controlled rental prices.||Project website|
|Geneva: Pont-Rouge||630||Land sold to canton to benefit a foundation for affordable housing.||Project website|
|Vevey||0 (- 20)||Design plan was rejected by the Vevey population.||Article 24heures|
|Morges: Quartier des Halles||28||SBB has granted municipality building rights to construct 28 apartments with controlled rental prices.||Project website|
|Zurich: Letzibach D||250||Land sold to the City of Zurich.||Project website|
|Zurich: Zollstrasse||50||Site sold to Genossenschaft Kalkbreite.||Project website|
|Zurich: Neugasse||110||Consultation process with population is ongoing.||Project website|
|Basel: Volta Nord||80||SBB investment: focus of development with Immobilien Basel Stadt and Stiftung Habitat; before submission of development plan.||Project website|
The actual implementation of the projects is subject to legal risks and available investment resources. The number of apartments stated can change accordingly.